The Federal Government has directed all Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) to strictly follow procurement laws when carrying out projects and making payments under the 2025/2026 Capital Budget, warning that any violation of due process will not be accepted.
Similarly, it has also assured that 30 per cent of the 2025 Capital Budget will be implemented between now and November 31, 2026.
Director of Press and Public Relations in the Office of the Accountant-General of the Federation, Bawa Mokwa, in a statement, said the order was given by the Minister of State for Finance, Doris Uzoka-Anite, during a stakeholders’ meeting on the implementation of the extended 2025 Capital Budget held at the Federal Ministry of Finance.
The statement explained that the minister told government agencies that all capital payments must strictly comply with the provisions of the Public Procurement Act and that no project should begin unless funds are available. She warned that no payment should be processed outside approved procurement procedures.
She said the government has enough funds to settle outstanding payments and urged agencies to review and update their documents so payments can be processed quickly.
Speaking at the meeting, the Accountant-General of the Federation, Shamseldeen Babatunde Ogunjimi, said the Government Integrated Financial Management Information System (GIFMIS) platform has been fully restored and is now working. He explained that 30 per cent of the 2025 Capital Budget will be implemented between now and November 31, 2026, while the remaining 70 per cent has been moved into the 2026 Capital Budget to allow for smooth execution, following the directive of President Bola Tinubu.
Ogunjimi said warrants have already been issued to the agencies and announced that Treasury House will begin implementing the 30 per cent portion of the 2025 budget by the end of next week.
Earlier in his welcome address, the Director of Funds, Steve Ehikhamenor, advised agencies to avoid spending above their approved budgets and to stick strictly to listed project items and their approved costs. He warned them not to exceed the amounts stated in their warrants and instructed that any unused or extra funds should be returned to the treasury. He also told them to work closely with GIFMIS officials for technical assistance and to make sure all legal documentation is complete.
The directive is part of ongoing efforts by the government to improve financial discipline, ensure transparency in public spending, and guarantee that capital projects deliver value for money for Nigerians.